Hozho Equine Therapy
Hozho Equine Therapy offers a unique opportunity for you to connect with our horses in a therapeutic setting. We are focused on rebuilding mental health through equine therapy and horsemanship.
An equine specialist along with your therapist works alongside you during each session to provide a healing, educational experience suitable for children, teens, adults, veterans and first responders.
The services offered through Hozho Equine Therapy are:
- Equine Assisted Counseling
- Horsemanship for Individuals and Groups
- Educational Community Programs
- Corporate Teambuilding
- Benefit of Horses
Hozho Equine Therapy is a private facility located in Andover, NJ and is accessible only by appointment.
Hozho is the interconnectedness between beauty, harmony and goodness in all things physical and spiritual. This Navajo Native American concept of hozho strongly relates to our therapy belief as it results in the health and well-being for all things and beings.
EQUINE ASSISTED COUNSELING
Horses are magnificent animals that are unbiased and mirror another one’s behavior and emotions. These two characteristics help bridge the gap for a patient to understand and begin the healthy process that otherwise might not get translated in a closed-door therapy session.
Our specialized areas of treatment:
- Trust in self
- Trust in others
- Impulse control
- Problem-solving skills
- Developing and maintaining relationships
- Intensive In-Community (IIC)
- Substance Abuse Recovery
- Emotional Awareness
- Social Skills
Our licensed therapist along with an equine specialist work with children, teens, adults, veterans and first responders during a one-hour scheduled session at our equine center located in Andover, NJ.
INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS
Learn how to care for a horse through understanding their basic needs of grooming, feeding and safety. Through this process you will build a relationship with the horse based on trust and respect. These life skills along with patience, empathy and communication are valuable tools for personal growth for oneself and for collaborating with others. No horse experience is needed and there is no riding of the horses during a session.
Learn about responsibility, teamwork, and social skills while interacting with our horses in an inclusive non-judgmental environment.
Our staff offers activities tailored to the ability and age level of your group. Activities may include making treats, feeding, grooming, tacking and leading a horse through an obstacle course. No horse experience is needed and there is no riding of the horses during a session. We specialize in working with Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Homeschool groups, churches, community organizations senior citizen groups.
Hozho Equine Therapy offers customized teambuilding for groups and individuals. Our team of certified coaches and equine specialists provide programs designed to work with your team to improve effective communication, cohesiveness, productivity, problem resolution and integration.
Horses offer unbiased feedback. Often groups will be assigned activities to complete in the arena with the untethered horses. Since horses read intentions and energies effectively and have an agenda of their own, interesting interactions evolve. Often groups will label certain horses as associates, peers or themselves. It’s like looking in a mirror as it shows you the parts that need to change. Until a person can learn how to lead him or herself effectively, they will never be able to lead others.
Horses offer unique traits that have come to make them a top choice for animal-assisted therapies. Horses bring the following unique elements to the therapy process:
- Non-Judgmental and Unbiased: Having the horse present during a therapy session offers a sense of peace, as they only will react to the client’s behavior and emotions with no threat of bias or any judgment of their emotional experience.
- Feedback and Mirroring: Horses are keen observers, vigilant and sensitive to movement and emotion. They often mirror a client’s behavior or emotions, conveying understanding and connection that allows the client to feel safe. This also allows for clients to maintain a sense of self-awareness, using the horse’s behavior and interactions for feedback and opportunities to check in and process what is happening in the moment.
- Managing Vulnerability: The horse can offer a reference point to use for processing emotional challenges, past experiences or life transitions. If something feels too painful to speak of, it can feel a bit easier for clients to process using the horse as an example, or to align their experience with the horse’s experiences in the moment. Externalizing the content in this way can make things easier to approach and process through.
- Empathy and Connection: Learning horsemanship and horse care increases empathy, understanding and connection to something outside of ourselves. Increasing our ability to care for and understand horses decreases internal anxiety, improves social skills and problem solving skills as well as self-confidence.
Hozho Equine Therapy is a subsidiary of Tri-County Behavioral Care